Reconciliation: PowerShell + Excel Pivot Tables (Our IP!)
Best for: Validating every file has been moved following a file-server migration
No migration tool is perfect, files get left behind, and it only takes one missing file for trust to be lost in the migration process, which is why reconciling your data and validating your migration execution is essential.
We use PowerShell to query the file source and destination environment to create a full report of the location of every file. We can compare our datasets through pivot tables and Excel scripts to quickly establish if any files have failed to migrate.
With PowerShell + Excel, we’re able to:
- Produce a list of every file and its location/li>
- Validate file counts, folder by folder/li>
- Investigate discrepancies at a file level
What else you need to know:
- While every file will be accounted for, end-users do sometimes forget where they agreed for the mapped files to go, resulting in queries.
- Equip your first-line support with the reconciliation spreadsheet to help quickly address these concerns.